Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Next Lesson!

So this time I had to go shopping without him for the sake of saving time. I knew I never should have been left alone with the task of picking out the right things!!!

Aside from that blunder, I learned a few other valuable things :)

-In order to get perfect grill marks on your burgers, you must first place them on the grill for about 2 1/2 mins. Then lift them and turn spatula 45 degrees and place them back down on the same side for another 2 1/2 mins. (This creates the perfect diamond shaped lines on the back that say I know what I'm doing :) hahaha) At that point flip it to the other side for another 2 1/2 mins then add cheese. Right after you add the cheese, place your burger buns on to the grill for perfectly timed toasty buns. I'm sure you can guess how long you're supposed to let it sit there..... ..... ..... ..... yes 2 1/2 mins. :)

-Cheesy Hashbrowns
Yes, I cheated with these too. I bought the frozen kind but I still learned a thing or two! Potatoes have natural sugars that as it starts to cook, they are released which causes much of the flavor. Mixed with salt is what makes it sooo yummy!

Browning is the same thing as caramelizing, it means sugar is releasing and the potatoe is cooking.

2 comments:

The French Family said...

Wow Tiff - this is so great! I'm learning right alone side you as you make your posts. What a wonderful attitude about life and learning you have! You are very lucky to have realized that learning as much as you can, as young as you can is the way to go! Keep us posted on other cooking tips and all your upcoming adventures.

ashlee said...

so cute! love this. blogging is the best. can't wait to hear more.